Imaging Study of Trauma and Resilience - iSTAR
The Imaging Study on Trauma and Resilience (iSTAR) is a longitudinal fMRI imaging study investigating what helps or hinders recovery after an acute traumatic event. Eligible participants must have been seen at the Froedtert Emergency Department and complete a short screening process to assess for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) risk factors and MRI safety. Once eligible we ask that participants come in for seven separate visits over the next two years requiring a maximum of 22 hours of time. The first two visits are scheduled within two weeks of injury, on two consecutive days requiring interactive MRI at both visits. One final interactive MRI will be scheduled six months post-injury (for a total of three MRIs). Other study procedures include cognitive, attentional, and physiologic assessments as well as self-report surveys and biospecimen collection (blood, urine, and saliva).
Who should I contact if I am interested in the study or if I am in the study and have a question?
The best way to contact our team is to call or text the study cell phone at (414) 840-4910. Any after hour, or weekend inquiry will be answered the next business day.
- PREPARING FOR YOUR APPOINTMENT:
- Childcare is NOT provided by the hospital or the study staff. If childcare is an issue, your appointments will need to be rescheduled.
- If you are unable to make your appointment for any reason please let us know as soon as possible. We the research team, are charged for the scan time with or without you there.
- The MRI machine uses a powerful magnet to take pictures of your brain, so there are no x-rays or radiation involved.
- If your visit involves a blood draw, please be sure to be properly hydrated. Fasting is NOT necessary.
- FINDING THE RESEARCH AREA:
- To find the most recent updates on road construction near the Medical College visit the following website: http://www.mrmccampus.org/zoo-interchange
- All study visits will be performed in the Pavilion at Froedtert Hospital/Medical College of Wisconsin (Located between the Eye Institute and Parking Structure 3 off of 87th street).
- See the “Froedtert & The Medical College of Wisconsin Campus” Map (provided) for the location of the Pavilion building.
- You are welcome to park in the ground lot (Parking 4) in-front of the Pavilion. You will get a card as you pull in. Keep this in your car
- To get to the waiting room:
- You will go into the Pavilion building through the double doors labeled “39” and then the large revolving door where study staff will meet you.
- If you arrive before study staff, please take a seat in the waiting room located left of the revolving door. While waiting, feel free to help yourself to water, but remember not to fill up too much since it is extremely difficult to take you out of the scanner to use the restroom once you’ve been settled in place.
- Please call our lab cell phone at (414) 840-4910 if you get lost or have any questions
- PREPARING FOR YOUR APPOINTMENT:
- All piercings MUST be removed
- You will be asked to change into MRI safe clothes
- You will be asked to take your hair down if it is in a pony-tail, or if you have a removable hairpiece we may ask you to remove it during the scan
- We will provide a safe locked environment at the scanner to store your personal belongings, but please use discretion.
- IRS REQUIREMENTS FOR PARTICIPATION IN VOLUNTARY RESEARCH:
- The IRS requires earning of $600 per year or more to be reported.
- PLEASE NOTE THAT THE MAXIMUM YOU COULD RECEIVE PER YEAR FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THIS STUDY WOULD BE $525 (WITH A STUDY TOTAL OF $625 ACROSS 2 YEARS), SO IF YOU WERE TO MAKE $75 OR MORE IN A DIFFERENT STUDY IN THE SAME YEAR, YOU WOULD NEED TO FOLLOW THE STEPS OUTLINED BELOW:
- A Form 1099-MISC reporting is required
- The IRS states in the instructions to Form 1099-MISC that Box 3 should be used to report “(a) payment or series of payments to individuals participating in a medical research study or studies.” All payments to research participants are to be reported in Box 3 of form 1099-MISC.